How to Dress in Vintage for Autumn

 


I think autumn is by far my most favorite season . . .Although to be honest I do love them all in their own way. What I love most about autumn is that it is suit, fur, and felt hat season. It is also the start of cocktail parties and dinners and those little intimate parties with those close friends. Anyways, to me, autumn is the time of year that I enjoy the most because it is the time of year that I do dress up the most. Today I want to show you my tips and favorite looks for dressing in vintage for autumn. 


The Tailored Suit

My favorite vintage look for autumn has to be the two-piece suit. I adore a suit! These can be worn together for a cohesive look or separately for ultimate versatility. Underneath, I like a smart blouse, but I do have a few lightweight wool sweaters I will wear as well. A suit can be worn dressed up or down. Dress up a suit with a fur jacket or a large brooch or dress it down with flats and a simple wool coat. If you would like to see more of the 1940s suit in play, check out this past post about a capsule wardrobe made with texture in mind here. 





Prints - Plaid and Leopard

Plaids and leopard print! I think plaid is the ideal print for fall and into winter. There is just something really cozy about a plaid.  If a suit is too much, then choose a skirt, jacket, or other accessory for that pop of plaid rather than a whole look. As for leopard print, I love that print for fall - it's so cozy and chic. Of course, it not for everyone and that's ok. 

Rich Colors

Aside from certain prints, I love bright jewel tones for fall. I think this time of year is great for putting away those softer pastels and breaking out the bold jewel tones. 






Furs - Stoles, Muffs, Coats, Jackets, Hats

Furs! I love a vintage fur - faux and real. It is an excellent way to stay warm and add that but of texture. You can choose from muffs, jackets, coats, wraps and more. If you want to add just a touch of fur to a look, try pockets or a collar. These can be added to almost any suit or coat and removed just as easily. 





Sweaters
If you have a lot of lightweight dresses that are not going to be quite warm enough for the autumn chill, then sweaters are your best friend. I love this one from The House of Foxy. The neutral color goes with so much I own and it layers so easily over dresses adding that nice cozy layer. 

Both the dress and the sweater are reproduction pieces.
To get that vintage look, you do not have to use true vintage all the time. 
As you can see, these do the trick just right!

Evening Wear
For the evening, I really break out the evening wear this time of year - from cocktail length dresses to full length gowns. This time of year, I get out and about the most and I really take advantage of it. I really ham it up too - why not. 



Coats 
Of course, one cannot forget the coats! I love a good coat and this time of year I break them out - all of them. Wool swing coats to fur coats to jackets and more. Where I live, it is good to have a coat wardrobe all though you probably do not need as many as I do. For me, I like to have different weights and lengths available to suit what the weather is doing and to suit what I want to wear. 



So, there you have it, a little bit on how to dress for autumn while wearing vintage. For me, I love to lean into pieces that I can wear layered together. Suits can be worn together for a whole look or wear them with dresses, other jackets or other skirts for a more mixed and matched appearance. Of course, when the weather calls for it, a suit can be worn under a coat. For accessories, I love to wear my felt hats, but I will wear a straw one too if I can get away with it. Autumn is a great time to play with layers and bright colors too. I love my fuchsias, deep blacks, greens, purples, browns, and golds. But that's me. So how do you dress for autumn in vintage? 

Comments

Popular Posts