How to Get an Authentic Vintage Look Using Reproduction Pieces

 



I am an unapologetic sucker for many things but among them is the shirtwaist style dress. This one was one I bought from Revival Vintage UK and is a Rock n Romance branded dress. I have had this dress for a while and have worn it many, many times. I would say I have gotten my money's worth out of this one just in how much I paid for it and how often I have worn it. This time I am wearing it with black and pops of red. 

As much as I love true vintage, it is really nice to have reproduction pieces to lean on once in a while. At least with reproduction pieces I know they can withstand a little more wear and abuse than a true vintage number. To make the reproduction pieces look a little more authentic, I like to pair them with true vintage accessories - hats, bags, shoes, etc. With the right accessories a modern made item can look like the real McCoy. I think a lot of it just comes down to wearing the right pieces. For this look, I am wearing all true vintage accessories. 

When picking and choosing reproduction pieces, pay attention to fit. If an item does not fit correctly, then it will never look authentic. One thing that vintage clothing has to its advantage over modern clothes is that they really paid attention to the fit of the garment. They were made with a great attention to detail and were often custom made to order or else tailored for the individual. To get that same attention to detail in a reproduction piece, pay attention to the fit and be prepared to do a little alteration on it yourself. Do not be afraid to adjust the hem line of the skirt. 

If you get a ready to made piece, make it yours! Do not be afraid to change out the buttons. Add a collar or cuff set. If you have a dress that many other women own, make it yours by adding something vintage to it that will make yours stand out and make yours . . .YOURS! On top of that, buttons and most vintage collars are not too expensive so you could change out those items as frequently as you want to get a new look. 

To make a reproduction piece more authentic the biggest thing is pay attention to the actual cut of the garment. A poorly made piece will always look poorly made. In addition, a garment that was inspired by the 1950s will always have that influence and so it may not work for an authentic 40s look. This is where it pays to be a smart shopper and do some homework before buying. 









Comments

Popular Posts