Jourdelle of Hollywood
Let's talk about Jourdelle of Hollywood. It all started when I acquired this pink gown after saving up for it for months. I loved the design, the color, and the little details. It was not until much later that I discovered this gown was actually really something extra special. I did not truly appreciate its history until today.
Founded by Jourdana Jourdelle Kessler and originally from New York, Kessler had a strong education in both fashion design and business. In the early 1940s she would move to San Francisco and founded the brand Jourdelle of Hollywood. The brand would become well known for its glamourous evening and formal wear pieces inspired by Gilbert Adrian and other looks from the silver screen. The most famous design is the "firebird" gown - a black rayon crepe gown with red and orange birds across the front. Another famous contribution is that this Kessler designed Cinderella's ball gown in the 1950 Disney movie. Kessler would die unexpectedly in May of 1950 in a hospital. She left behind her husband Kenneth Kessler and two sons. All of this information was found in her obituary from the New York Times.
Beyond this, I could find very little about the brand but it was very short lived - about 10 years. It is a shame that this brand was here and gone so fast and was not able to contribute more to the 1940s fashion scene, I think had Kessler lived longer this brand would be much more well known. Due to its brief life, Jourdelle of Hollywood pieces are very rare and are desirable collector items.
Knowing what I do now, I have a much deeper appreciate for this gown. I had no idea when I bought it how fascinating its history was and how desirable it was to collectors. I think I got incredibly lucky in getting this one and even more lucky that someone did not buy it before me. It took me a long time to save up for this one and I am so happy and blessed I can call it mine and say it is in my collection.








Comments
Post a Comment