Inspired by Dior



One of my favorite designers is Dior. Dior always gives me something to dream about. One of his collections from I think 1947 or 1948 was inspired by roses and lots of them. No figure because I read somewhere once that they were one of his favorite flowers. This year, I decided why not make a dream a reality and make something really unique and beautiful. Why not make my own rose gown? 



To start, the dress. Using an old project to source my materials, I cut up a gown that I had made a couple years back and then put into storage (l-o-n-g story). I knew I wanted to do something with this failed project because it was very nice material. The material was a silk taffeta in a French blue. Taking this old gown, I cut it apart salvaging what I could. Then I took a pattern from my collection dated from 1955 of a fluffy ball gown. I used the cocktail length because I figured long term, I would get more use from that length than a full length. . . That and I found out I was only going to have enough material for the cocktail length anyways. Once the dress was made, the fun part began. I bought oodles of pink vintage millinery roses - large ones, medium ones, small ones, and rose buds. Arranging the roses was the hard part. How did I want them to sit on the gown?? In the end I chose to do two diagonal lines. One running from the bodice and one from the skirt. Once I was happy with the rose placement, I added more! And then more! I went nuts with roses and I have no regrets about it. I love my new gown, and I love that I was able to salvage this material into something I cannot wait to really wear out and about. 








Comments